According to recent studies, brain injuries are common in professional American football players, and their incidence has been associated with loss of mental abilities, dementia and depression. Now, a ground-breaking new study provides evidence that daily supplementation with a few key nutrients may significantly improve brain function and mental performance in brain-injured athletes.
Key Nutritional Supplements Reversed Brain Injury
In 2011, researchers recruited retired NFL players representing 27 teams and all positions to participate in the study. Those retired players who demonstrated traumatic brain injuries and reduced mental abilities were given key nutritional supplements over an average period of six months. These nutritional supplements included: (1) fish oil; (2) a high-potency multiple vitamin; (3) a formulated brain enhancement supplement that included nutrients to enhance blood flow (ginkgo and vinpocetine); (4) huperzine A and acetyl-l-carnitine to aid in production of acetylcholine, and (5) alpha-lipoic acid.
Brain Protection for Virtually Everyone
The implications of this exciting new study extend far beyond the realm of professional football. Brain injuries affect not only retired professional football players, but also the general population-including many soldiers returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. In addition, substance abusers also experience high levels of brain damage from the toxic effects of the drugs or alcohol and the higher incidence of brain injuries during intoxication.
Furthermore, it’s long been known that our modern food supply contains toxins that cause brain injury. According to John Olney, M.D., one of the nation’s most respected experts on brain disorders, the human food supply is now a source of chemicals that can cause brain damage in the entire population. Because of this, everyone needs to be on guard against toxin-induced brain injury which can lead to dementia, Alzheimer’s and other debilitating neurological conditions.
- Help for Declining Brain Function: Nutrient Reverses Mental Aging by 12 Years
- Promoting Healthy Heart & Brain Function with Omega-3 Fish Oil
- Do You Need Protection Against Toxic Food Additives?
- Protect Against Drug-Induced CoQ10 Deficiency And Support Vital Cellular Energy Production
- Boost Your Brain Function At Any Age, and Protect Against Memory Decline
1. Reversing brain damage in former NFL players: implications for traumatic brain injury and substance abuse rehabilitation, Amen DG, Wu JC, Taylor D, Willeumier K, J Psychoactive Drugs, 43(1):1-5, Jan-Mar 2011.
2. Excitotoxins in foods, Olney JW, Neurotoxicology, 15(3):535-44, 1994.
NOTICE: The information herein is intended for educational purposes only. It is not intended to diagnose, prescribe, treat or prevent any disease or endorse any brand or product. For medical advice consult a health care professional.